Monday 31 January 2011

Vegetarian Haggis - Recipe

This is the Burns Night essential in our vegetarian household.  I will list the quantities I used first time I made this but I never weigh anything anymore, just chuck in what looks roughly right! It is easy to make, nutritious and apart from the whole sheep's stomach thing, has a fairly authentic haggis feel to it. Why wait for another Burns Night?


Ingredients
4 oz onion
2oz carrot
2oz mushroom
2oz red lentils
1pt stock
1oz red kidney beans
2oz chopped nuts
2tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp lemon juice
1tsp thyme
1tsp rosemary
1tsp mixed spice
8oz fine oatmeal
black pepper




Method

  1. Finely chop the veg (I use my food processor) and saute in a pan for a few minutes
  2. Add lentils and stock
  3. Mash the kidney beans and add to pan with nuts, soy sauce, lemon juice and seasonings.
  4. Cook for 15 mins
  5. Add oatmeal and cook for a further 15 mins, adding more liquid if necessary.
  6. Turn into loaf tin and bake for 30 mins at 190ºC
Serve with neeps and tatties!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...