Saturday 2 June 2012

Jubilee-cious

I have to admit that the confusion of events being organised for the Jubilee along with the drizzly weather (although my dad, who took part in the Coronation back in 1953, assures me that the weather was very similar as he marched down the Mall to Constitution Hill) has made me feel a little less inclined to wave my Union Jack.

I did, however, bake some cakes which my willing assistant helped me to decorate. Blue and red food colouring only managed to tint the butter icing pale blue and pink but nobody minded.



My older girls had been playing a Best of British set on the bandstand at a local 'Party in the Park' event.


When they all arrived home, cold and hungry, I had a Veggie Sausage and Chip Curry ready for them. The chips were leftover from yesterday's dinner  (my husband had miscalculated how many portions to order from the chip shop when I was too tired to cook). The curry did have an alarming yellow glow due to a measuring mishap with the tumeric and our tongues did take on that same hue when our plates were emptied but everyone raved about it. Veggie Sausage and Chip Shop Chip Curry has now earned a place as my quintessentially British signature dish whenever an occasion warrants such a thing.

I did insist that everybody join in with a rousing rendition of God Save the Queen (although shamefully Taylor didn't know the words) before cakes were served - on union jack paper plates.

I had also made a madeira cake decorated with strawberries and blueberries to represent the colours of the flag. I didn't have long for my fruit positioning but then it didn't take my girls long to demolish it, either.



It was so lovely to have the family together, relaxed and happy and well fed. For me, this was a perfect way to spend the start of the holiday weekend.


1 comment:

  1. It looks like you were all very well fed during the festivities!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...